Tuesday, February 12, 2008

After coffee thoughts

Wrote my Mom a two-page clarification letter last night regarding the status of her intention to resign from the RVM institution after 24 years of service. There is nothing wrong with that, we've been asking her to resign since last year so that she could enjoy her life and not get tied up with the complexities of being in an institution where money, instead of a good education, is the real deal. But she said she still enjoys teaching, she quit her post in the administration side and focused on teaching last year. Now, she is decided to quit her profession. She already submitted her resignation. There is only one problem though, the administration is confused whether her resignation would also mean retirement from her service to the institution since she will be 60 years old in October of this year.

So, she consulted the principal. Asked her what would happen to her RVM retirement plan, if she could still get a hundred percent, how would this affect her claim. Will resignation be more apt than retirement? The works. The principal took out the Administrative Manual Revised 2007 and searched for the provisions that would cover my Mom's inquiry. It clearly states that if an employee renders a continuous service of 20 years, she is entitled to a hundred percent of the retirement plan. However, there are certain provision stated in the manual that is vague and from my point of view, could be interpreted loosely by the RVM sisters. So my Mom took home the manual and asked me to read it and interpret it for her. I explained to her my understanding of the provisions and told her to clarify those with the administration. That was when she asked me to write a letter for her.

And so I did. My dad read it, said it was fine. It was not offensive in any way. So she signed it and slept well last night.

This morning, she will submit it to her principal so that she could discuss it to the administration during the early morning meeting. I'm simply waiting for the feedback. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be writing another letter or if that letter would suffice.

These are the times where I wonder what career really fits me. Those who read that letter said that I write like a lawyer because I quote and cite provisions yet my inquiries are not offensive to the reader because I have a way with words that soothes emotion rather than flare them up.

I am in the field of education. And one of my students, Obet, as I fondly call him although he is older than me by a year or two, said that I am one of his inspirations. That I am one of the few professors he admires because of my passion. He told me that I should not quit because the students need someone like me to inspire them and enlighten them with my unorthodox view of life, the world, the academe and society.

That made my day. If I were made to choose between becoming a lawyer or a teacher, I would definitely choose the latter.

No comments: