Thursday, March 6, 2008

Just wondering...

Bakit parang puro gay films ang napo-produce dito sa Pilipinas? I've watched several of them back in my college days, mostly at the UP Theater. The ones that tackles the complications of coming out, having to face your family and friends, making known that you are somehow different than what they perceive you to be. I haven't been to the cinema's lately, the last was during the first quarter of 2007. Then during MQAPC's foundation day, it was announced that one of our students plays the role of Antonio, a fifteen year old kid who's coming to terms with his sexuality in the movie Ang Lihim ni Antonio. I haven't seen it yet. But that's not my point. Bakit palaging lalaki ang nagiging subject ng mga ganitong pelikula? I haven't seen a film which intelligently discusses how it is to be a lesbian in the Philippines. With the exception of Rome & Juliet, wala na akong maisip na iba pa. I sure hope indie film makers take note of this. I'd be interested with what they could come up with. And please, stop the whole salvation/redemption plot thing. Being a lesbian is not a sin. Why punish the characters? It's a good thing that Robinsons Cinema's play films like this. At least people doesn't have to rush to the UP Theater to gain access to these films. I wonder if its already out on videos. Hmmmm... I better get one.


No comments: