Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A sense of purpose

I made myself practically autistic, loosely used to the effect of may sariling mundo, for the entire morning because I wanted to finish all my paperworks. I even came to the office an hour earlier to gain a head start. After lunch, I finished my task and then I started to relax a bit. Anthony approached me and asked, pwede maki-print? I said yes, because I know it was for the school paper. I let him use my computer and I moved to the other table.

Mam Regae was asking Jerwin, one of the Campus Quill staff, if they could stand up for the things they've written in the paper. She just smiled. I asked her what the article was about and so she told me everything about it, some of which I already know since they've been telling me that story whenever I had the time to listen to them. We were discussing libel and slander when she suddenly blurted out that she wanted to learn more about the law. Those who heard her looked at us and God only knows what they were thinking, sabi ko nga mukhang sa akin na naman ang bagsak ng sisi pag nagkataon. Tinuruan ko daw kasing maging radikal ang mga bata.

The discussion went on and on, naririnig ko nga sila na sinasabing dapat daw magkaron na ng political science sa college kasi marami na akong nai-impluwensiyahang bata. My former students were asking if they could shift to political science or if they could pursue a degree in law after graduation. I said yes. Jerwin asked if I am handling educ students this semester. I told her that I'd probably handle Principles of Literary Criticism based on the schedule submitted but that could still change since I've been given 5 sections at the HRM department. Lokong Jerwin, mas kailangan daw ang may utak na instructor sa educ. Isang hirit pa niya, nagulat ako.. bakit ko daw tinanggap 'yung position as HR?

Caught me off-guard but I managed to reply quickly without thinking, mayroon kasi akong gustong baguhin dito sa college. Napakunot-noo siya, after a while she smiled. So I just said, I have to swim with the sharks to be able to learn their style of attack.

Conversations like these make me realize how much potential my students have. If treated as adults they could become responsible individuals, critical thinkers albeit radical, but responsible.

Bakit po kayo nagtitiyaga dito sa Pilipinas? Another question, another quick reply..

It's because of you guys that I am here. I feel that I am responsible for making you realize that you are indeed the hope of this nation. Make me proud.


No comments: