Friday, June 6, 2008

Building a case

"You are building a case against me!"

I don't know why but this resonated in my mind the moment I wake up. Weird huh? I've heard this line in my previous line of work as a legal assistant to the point that it became a private joke around the executive every time one of us hits a boljak note. Being in the government service brought so many realizations that made me sigh and smile at the same time. I did get out of that office but I ended up in another, this time in the academe. There's not much difference except for the setting, instead of working with power driven arrogant lawyers, I now work with educators backed up with political agendas. There are a lot of political appointees when you work in a government setting, I am accustomed to that fact now however I may resent it. I just learned how to swim with the sharks, I am just figuring out how to counter their attacks if and when the need arises.

So, I learned how to become cautious. I always remind myself to learn how to build a case and defend a case. There's a lot of paper trail involved but here are some of the things I've learned first-hand:
  • Be aware of your role. Whatever your position, make sure that you do your job according to the job description.
  • Do your job right the first time. Having a good record will help a lot in times of trouble.
  • Research. Anticipate. Make sure that you know how to answer "possible" questions thrown at you in times of confrontation.
Avoid assuming things. Always be prepared. Evidence is evidence, so be careful. They may twist and bend the rules using the clause "in the exigency of the service" so try to do things by the book.

In the end, you just have to wish yourself some luck. Hehehehe! Don't worry, I did it. So can you.

No comments: