Saturday, September 6, 2008

My one great love

I was trying to figure out the answer to the question Bakit ba kasi mahal na mahal kita? and stumbled upon this article by Lucie Chevalier. The introduction caught my attention, it says:

Some people -- it is not certain if they are the lucky ones or the unlucky ones -- have had One Great Love; a love whose intensity and mutuality allowed no doubt that it was the real thing; a love that never lost its quality of strangeness; a love that, years later, still makes the throat catch when it's remembered; a love whose unfolding remolded the selves of both people, as when a graft on a branch forms a new tree. In some cases -- may they be happy! -- these couples stay together. In others, the couple resist the graft, spooked by the power of the enchantment that entwined them, or disliking the new hybrid. They separate, and the separation is damaging; it is like surgery. The two people stagger off their separate ways, unentwined, fiercely seeking to resume their prior independence, but it cannot be fully restored. They retain the twists of the joint self they formed against the now-absent other half. How can they stop feeling the loss of the vanished lover when their shape still reflects his outline? How can they learn to grow separately, how can they bring themselves to bend to a new suitor? And will they ever find a new graft to complement their hybrid nature?

I was awed. Nicely written. I have tried and tried to answer the question but for almost two decades now I haven't found the answer yet. I don't intend to answer the question anymore though I am intrigued by the depth of the question. Mahirap kasi talagang sagutin. Pero masarap damhin. Time and time again, we may feel that we have given it all for the person we truly love. But it proves us wrong, we can give more than we can imagine. And that intrigues me. The power of love. I cannot argue with it.

Love really does move in mysterious ways.

No comments: