Monday, October 27, 2008

Are you in nostalgia?

I've been here for three days. My aunts have been calling me almost alternately to check up on me. I've been asked several times if I feel homesick. I told them no, I am fine and doing okay. They probably think I'm lying or I'm trying to cover it up. But honestly, I don't.

Wikipedia says that Homesickness (or in some cases, Nostalgia), is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from the specific home environment or attachment objects. That it occurs when one travels and may be heightened when one is in an unfamiliar environment or foreign cultural context.

Well, I felt that way once back in 2001 when I was in Oman. But here, it is different. My wife says that it is natural to feel homesick, in fact she thinks that I feel that way. When we talked about it this afternoon before she went to work she was surprised when I said that I really don't feel sad or anxious or depressed that I am here. Ang weird ko nga daw.

The answer is simple: I am home in her arms. Why would I be homesick?

No comments: