Sunday, December 28, 2008

Gentle hands

This is way beyond my profession. Almost everybody from my family thinks I couldn't do it. That I am not cut out for it. I belong to the academe, the office or some place else other than this job. But here I am doing it and enjoying as much as I can.

I don't expect to hear compliments about how I handle this new job. I expected criticism. But much to my surprise, I've been getting a lot of good words for the things I do for these people - the elderly. Ada, in her 80's was assigned to me last night. When I was about to take her blood pressure and blood sugar I was surprised by her words, she said "You know that you couldn't hurt me. I am warning you." I don't why she said that, probably from a bad experience. But as soon as I touched her, she smiled. When I told her that I won't be there for a couple of days, she said that she hopes I would come back. We were talking while I was cleaning her up when she told me that I've got gentle hands. That if I had taken a course in the medical field and became a nurse or a doctor, I'd be a good one.

When I was assigned in a different facility for three days I told Mary Ann, Helen and Harry that I'll be back in a couple of days. They were expecting that I'd spend Christmas with them. I told them that I'll spend New Year's Eve with them. So they smiled. I went for a walk yesterday to get some food to where these three were. When they saw me, I said hi and told them that I'd be back at night time. Harry nodded, Helen smiled and Mary Ann clapped her hands.

It does feel good that my efforts are being appreciated. I don't have any background in the medical field, except for the fact that Misis Tikboy is a nurse, but here I am doing a job close to becoming one. What's my secret? I do it because I care for them. And that's how I make them feel - important.

Ah, such gentle hands. I wish I've got healing hands too to ease their pain.

2 comments:

tinabee said...

you've got heart. that's all it takes. :)

happy new year!

Abiel said...

happy new year too!