Friday, February 8, 2008

Morning thoughts after drinking coffee

Yesterday while listening to the Senate Blue Ribbon committee hearing with Engr. Jun Lozada on the hot seat, a lot of terms popped up which I am sure my students would readily ask me today. For sure they would start another discussion about it and relate it to the current plight of our city government: the media coverage on former municipality accountant Avic Atienza's revelations about irregularities in the local administration and the former mayor Eddie Alarilla's reactions on the said irregularities.

They started to become this vigilant three years ago during their second semester in their freshman year. That was the time they met me and became their professor in political science, particularly Philippine Constitution and Government. Since then, their other teachers have noticed their transformation. From timid students to very outspoken and oftentimes agitated freshmen and they once warned me that my students were bordering on activism. I try to moderate their hunger for truth now that they are in their junior year by relating Rizal's style of instigating change in society, since that's the subject I was tasked to discuss for the entire semester. But then, Rizal too has another persona: Simoun, the rich jeweler vent on revenge because of the misfortunes he suffered when he was still the naive and idealist Crisostomo Ibarra in the romantic novel Noli Me Tangere.

The task that I have to bear. Sometimes its hard being objective when your personal views are challenged. For now, I would just have to be ready to explain to them what Sec. Romulo Neri meant when he told Engr. Lozada to "moderate their greed" (referring to former Comelec Chairperson Abalos), what "win-win solution" Engr. Lozada was thinking of to reconcile Abalos and Joey De Venecia's camp regarding the NBN deal, and what a "dysfunctional system" the government has in terms of procurement.

Whew, and I thought this was an easy day for me since I had planned to let them watch the second half of Bayaning 3rd World and the documentary of Howie Severino on the young Rizal living in Paris, France entitled "Little Bad Boy."

Oh well, when there are more pressing matters that needs to be addressed. I have to be there to guide my students. This is my calling, this is my duty.

No comments: