Monday, March 17, 2008

Essay exams

Since I started teaching at MQAPC I had the luxury of giving out essay exams. This is quite a relief for me since I really don't like my students memorizing all the things that I said, all the names that I dropped, or the date of historical events. When I was still at OLFU my hands were tied at making and giving out departmentalized exams which were very objective. Hated doing that but it's part of the job. 150 or 120 items of pure information. It's not an easy task I tell you if you're going to follow the rules: tests should contain questions regarding the cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains. Could really mess up your social life, which back then I didn't have problems because I do not have a social life. 42 hours of work at OLFU plus a 6 hour lecture on Saturdays at MQAPC. What social life? Sunday was my only time alone - sleeping, getting my clothes washed, and whatever it is that I do back then. *grin*

Now, I make up my own questions, create situations and make my students feel like they're in that situation. Free at last huh? Sort of. My two classes had their final exam last Saturday and I started grading their papers this morning. Penitensiya ko ngayong Holy Week. Hehehehe! Had six questions and according to some of my students, the last question was the hardest. Want to know what that is?

Here: If you were to introduce Jose P. Rizal to a five yeard old kid, what will you say to the child?

Who says a professor can't have fun? I'm really amazed at the answers I'm getting. Better get back to work so that I can pass their grades ahead of time. *wink*

No comments: