Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Free will


Which way do you want to go? Left or right?

When I looked at the image I first saw arrows pointing to the right. But when I took a second look, I saw arrows pointing to the left. And what does it mean? Nothing, it just means that I can shift my perspective if and when I want to. A matter of free will, I guess.

Free will is a very philosophical term, first heard when I was still in elementary during my Christian Living class. Yes, I came from an RVM school that's why we have to take the subject whether we like it or not. Also, I have a nun for an aunt and a priest for an uncle from my father's family. The priest was rather radical, I liked talking to him a lot. In fact I miss him. The aunt, well, she's too dogmatic. She makes us remember the gospel read every Sunday and tests us on it right after going to church.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, free will is a philosophical form of
art for a particular sort of capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among various alternatives.

So, where's the beauty of free will? I see it only in one word choice. The power to choose between right and wrong. Animals don't have this faculty, humans have. So what separates us from them? It is free will. But often times we act like animals, going with our basic instinct, satisfying our immediate need for gratification.

This leads me to another question, what if free will is just an illusion created to control us? What if it was introduced so that we could behave and stop acting on our natural instinct? And for what? Order in the society? Do we have that now?

Ah, questions.. let me clear my head before I dig deeper on this.

No comments: