Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Teaching an old dog new tricks

Tito Ugin got cremated this morning, my Mom, Dad and youngest brother was there to witness it. Unlike yesterday's wake, the OWWA disciples were not there. Gov. Jonjon and the former Gov. Josie tried to pay their last visit at Funeraria Nacional this morning but were late, Tito Ugin was taken to the crematorium early on.

Dad gave the eulogy and delivered the message that Tito Ugin would have said to those present "Itapon ninyo ako sa ilog. Huwag kayong mamroblema. I've done what I could in this lifetime. Ngayong patay na ako, hayaan ninyong Diyos ang mamroblema sa akin." Next to Tito Junior, I admire this person a lot for his rock solid principles.

Now that he's gone, my dad's got a big problem. Naging dependent kasi siya kay Tito Ugin when it comes to documentation of their training. Dad just feeds in ideas to Tito Ugin and then Tito Ugin puts it into writing. No training would be complete without proper reporting and documentation. Sabi nga ni Dad, sigurado daw na pinagtatawanan siya ni Tito Ugin ngayon. Aileen (ang anak-anakan ni Tito), gave Dad Tito Ugin's laptop and cellphone. All the training materials are there in the laptop. Andami nga nagkaka interes sa laptop na 'yun pero ibinigay ni Aileen kay dad. Kaya nga ngayon, nagpapaturo ang tatay ko na gumamit ng computer. Ang tigas pa mandin ng ulo nun! Matagal ko na tinuturuan pero ayaw. But now, he's forced to use it.

Just about now, I created an email account for my Dad. But I told my Mom to teach my Dad how to use the computer. Kaya andun sila ngayon sa sala, binubutingting ang laptop. Buti pa nga si Ma, maalam sa computer. Si Dad, zero knowledge talaga.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Specially if the learner has superiority complex. Whew!

No comments: