Saturday, July 19, 2008

Behavior modifification

Wikipedia defines behavior modification as the use of empirically demonstrated behavior change techniques to improve behavior, such as altering an individual's behaviors and reactions to stimuli through positive and negative reinforcement of adaptive behavior and/or the reduction of maladaptive behavior through positive and negative punishment. The term was first used by Thorndike in 1911. It is a treatment approach in psychology based on the principles of operant conditioning. Don't get me wrong here, I am not a psychologist (though my first choice when I was thinking of a course in college was psychology) but I've recently realized that I've been using this approach in my everyday encounters with what we call life.

I used to be so idealistic back in high school and college. That changed when I went into government service, I became cynical. Now, I accept things as they are. I do not condone the things that are happening, it's just that I've realized that there are certain things in life that I couldn't control (goodbye to my oc-oc self). I've had several experiences in the past that brought a lot of heartaches and disillusionment. I blamed myself for it. Cursed myself for it. Thus, I summoned stress to come to me and eat me up.

When I started teaching Asian Civilization and encountered Buddhist teachings I began to feel a little bit different. I started to realize that all that's been happening to me I brought upon myself. So I changed my behavior. Slowly, I tried to adjust to things that I once thought I could control. Things that I thought I could change. I acknowledged their presence and then moved on. I accepted that I could not change them so I'll change my behavior towards them. And then things started falling into place.

The path to enlightenment is not easy. But if we accept the things we cannot change and try to alter our negative behavior about it, it will be easier.

Acceptance is the key.

My dad's been urging me to take dianetics seriously. He's been bugging me for a week now since he attended that seminar. He wants me to try it and has been pushing me to read the books he got so that I could practice and process my feelings. But I am not interested as of the moment.

Sometimes, you need to be ready for something to like it. You can't force anyone to like something just because you say that it works for you.

No comments: